Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities
- Mississippi Council for the Social Studies – MCSS – Conference – October 27, 2017, Mississippi State University
- Teacher Scholarship Form: https://goo.gl/forms/KeXyg2x2eyNDum8r1
- Email email@example.com for more information
- Mississippi Association for Middle Level Education – MAMLE – Conference – October 29-31, 2017 – Bay St. Louis, MS, Hollywood Resort
- Pre-conference 12:30-5:30 Sunday, October 29th. 1/2 CEU available for pre-conference – more if you attend the entire conference. FUNDING available for participation. Teacher Scholarship Form: https://goo.gl/forms/zxZlK8doORla9eeu2
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Interested in setting up a professional development session? Click: Teaching with Primary Sources-Mississippi flyer. Email email@example.com for more information.
Level 1 – Participants gain strategies for using primary sources to help students engage in learning, develop critical thinking skills and build content knowledge.
- Justify conclusions about whether a source is primary or secondary depending upon the time or topic under study.
- Describe examples of the benefits of teaching with primary sources.
- Analyze a primary source using Library of Congress tools
- Access teaching tools and primary sources from loc.gov/teachers
- Identify key considerations for selecting primary sources for instructional use (for example, student needs and interests, teaching goals, etc.)
- Access primary sources and teaching resources from loc.gov for instructional use
- Analyze primary sources in different formats
- Analyze a set of related primary sources in order to identify multiple perspectives
- Facilitate a primary source analysis using Library of Congress tools
- Demonstrate how primary sources can support at least one teaching strategy (for example, literacy, inquiry-based learning, historical thinking, etc.)
- Create a primary source-based activity that helps students engage in learning, develop critical thinking skills and construct knowledge